Wednesday, September 2, 2009

we love avocados!

If you don't absolutely love avocados, I think you're crazy, because not only are they delicious, but they are soooooo good for you!! They are high in fat, but monounsaturated fat, which actually helps to lower your cholesterol by lowering LDL (bad cholesterol) and increasing HDL (good cholesterol). They also have more potassium than bananas and the most fiber of any fruit! Every time I go to the store I make sure to pick up a few. I eat them on just about every sandwich, or salad, and find plenty of other ways to use them, like in a large batch of guacamole. Whenever I feel like loosing a few lbs. or even just attempting to be healthier, I try to squeeze them in my diet whenever possible. You would be surprised the difference it makes to add more "good fats" to your diet when trying to loose weight, as opposed to cutting out fat all together. Your body works at much higher efficiency rate with an increased fat intake, including your metabolism and the balance of hormones. On top of those health benefits, it helps to improve the clarity and tone of your skin. Along with avocados, I try to add in nuts (mainly almonds), seeds (pumpkin seeds are among the best, as well as flax seed and flax seed meal, which I add to all my cereals), all of which you should eat raw and plain, so not toasted or salted. These are all high in fat, but the benefits are astounding.



Guacamole

5 avocados
4 cloves of garlic
1 lime
1 lemon
½ t. salt
½ t pepper

Slice avocado in half, remove pit and score all the way to the skin, in a checkered pattern. Use a spoon to scoop out, place in bowl. (Now the avocado is already chopped). Chop garlic as fine as possible, add to bowl. Add juice from one lime a lemon, salt and pepper. With a fork, mash to desired texture, and make sure to mix thoroughly. I like my guacamole a little thick and chunky.










Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment