Monday, April 6, 2009

banana nut bread

This recipe is so easy! I really hope you try it out. You can cut it in half to make just one loaf. I added some helpful notes at the bottom, but the recipe is easy to follow and will definitely turn out every time.




1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
½ c. shortening
½ c. butter
4 eggs
3 ¾ c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1 c. chopped pecans, or walnuts
5 mashed bananas
3 T. honey, or corn syrup

Cream sugars, butter, and shortening. Add eggs, mix well, and make sure to scrap the bottom of the bowl. Add flour, and baking soda, mix until combined. Then add bananas, honey, and nuts. Pour into greased and floured loaf pan. Bake at 325 for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until tooth pick comes out clean. This recipe makes 2 loaves.

*I usually check the recipe at about 45 minutes. The edges will most likely be browned, and so I usually place a piece of foil, shinny side down, under both pans and wrap it up around the edges, so it can keep cooking, but it keeps the heat off the bottom and sides. Also, with about 5 or 10 minutes to go, I’ll add a few thin slices of butter to the top and sprinkle some brown sugar down the middle, it makes for a more appealing presentation.

*In case you haven’t noticed, I like to add honey to a lot of my recipes. When I worked in a bakery a few years ago, I learned that by adding corn syrup to our chocolate chip cookie recipe it made it so the cookies stayed chewy for a few days, not just right out of the oven; and since my family has bees and we make honey, I have it readily available. Honey also tastes just so amazing. So I have incorporated this trick into most of my recipes, it keeps things moist, chewy, sweet, and delicious. Corn syrup will do the same trick, just without the added flavor.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment