Monday, September 13, 2010

my breakfast.. a protein berry smoothie

Photobucket


This is an attempt to be healthy. I'm trying atleast :) Because my family is full of athletes and very weight conscious people I have developed a few habits that help me to be a little healthier. We eat at home a lot, which trust me, if you're trying to be healthier, is crucial, and we eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. The easiest and quickest meal I have, is a smoothie or shake. I like a milk base (it tastes so much better, and I believe in dairy, it's not for everyone though) to start out my smoothie. So in the blender I put about 3/4 cup of milk. Fruit is something I try to always keep on hand, but unfortunately most fruit doesn't last long. So, I freeze fruit that isn't used quickly, but usually only berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries) because they freeze well. To the milk I add 1 1/2 cups of frozen/fresh berries, and a scoop of a chocolate protein mix. Unfortunately I don't have the brand or any information because I stole a bag from my parents, who bought in bulk (shhh). Most grocery stores now carry protein mixes, or a store like GNC. Blend until completely smooth; you may have to add a little more milk (or water) to the mix.
If you don't like the milk/protein style shake, do the same thing but use a juice base (apple is my favorite) and don't add the protein. I made on like this the other day and it was fabulous. Just like Jamba Juice (our favorite) but it's practically free, and no garbage, so you're helping your pocket and the environment, and yourself because it's so healthy!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
In the last few months I have been trying to eat more "raw" foods. A lot of my health issues can be easily cured just by making some adjustments in my diet, and this has been not that easy. But this is an easy way to get a 100 % raw meal (if you do just the bare fruit juice smoothie), and it feels substantial. Anyways, food for thought.
Enjoy your day!
with love,
kristin ann :)

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. That smoothie looks really good! and the pictures are amazing too. I really love blueberries, when I was still living in Finland, it was so great to go to the forest at fall and eat blueberries (and all others too) straight from the bushes. I miss that so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy Kris!! Much better than the one your brother tried to make the other day...yikes! Some things can't be fudged or forced, ya know? When all you have is grapes, it's way worth it to make a quick trip to the store. :) Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should quit making fudgies and you should serve us up something healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy!!!
    beautiful pics!!!

    http://acupofmeshell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete